Wednesday, November 17, 2021

The Quiet Voices of Antiwar


    When I think of antiwar voices, I think about the 60s and those that tried to 'stick it to the man' in response to the Vietnam War. However, today the US is intervening and invoking violence in more countries, but we don't hear those that say no. The news seems to glean over the perspective as well. 

A screenshot from Antiwar.com
    In the age of biased news, it feels that outlets are tiptoeing around antiwar stances. The news is happy to show the lives lost and costs incurred from a war, but not those calling for a full-stop. What if news outlets conceal anti-war voices for fear of seeming they are taking that stance? 

   
    The consequences of such for a news outlet could be losing important governmental contacts that are vital to their news story production. It may be a risk too large for an already struggling industry. 

    My original impression of antiwar voices is them being something of our history rather than our future. This seems to ring true when I visit the website Antiwar.com.This website's format seems like it has not been updated since its creation. I began to wonder if this reflects the voices that this website is portraying. A website of this appearance does not attract the younger generation. Though, they are the changemakers, the ones who will soon be making the decisions. 

    The anti-war movement of the 60s was driven by teenagers and young adults. That is who makes waves, who makes people listen up and pay attention. So maybe it isn't that the movement is being silenced but rather that the movement is in the hands of the wrong generation.
Protesters march in protest of the war in Vietnam.

    I simply have not considered an anti-war perspective until now. My education has taught me that war brought freedom and change, but today's war seems different. The US had stakes in the wars that the American school systems celebrate, but the wars of today are that of foreign entanglements. The very conflicts we would not have involvement in if it weren't for our troops being on the ground. 


    I think the only way for anti-war perspectives to once again be heard is for the younger generations to make noise. If the anti-war movement becomes newsworthy, maybe these perspectives will be seen by more of the general public. 

Image Sources

No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Blog Post

      For the last few years, I have set my sights on social media. I don't just mean I am an average Gen Z obsessor. I genuinely am int...